Can I Use Antimicrobial Mouthwash Daily?
The use of mouthwash as part of one’s oral hygiene has been considered useful by the American Dental Association since it helps reach areas that cannot be accessed by a toothbrush.
Brushing with Fresh Aid Natural Toothpaste does help maintain healthy teeth and gums, but your oral health can get a significant boost with the aid of an antimicrobial mouthwash.
However, many are wondering if using mouthwash daily is a good idea or not? Let’s find out.
Pros and Cons of Using Mouthwash
There are different kinds of mouthwash sold today such as regular, antiseptic, and antimicrobial. Before you choose the best mouthwash for you, it would help to weigh the pros and cons first.
- Mouthwash contains ingredients that are designed to eliminate bacteria in the mouth.
- Alcohol-free mouthwash may help provide relief to canker sores.
- Some can have teeth whitening effects along with fighting bad breath.
- Alcohol-based ingredients can leave a burning sensation in the mouth.
- Regular use of mouthwash containing alcohol can cause dry mouth.
- Recent studies show that the chlorhexidine ingredient in mouthwash can raise blood pressure.
Antiseptic Mouthwash Vs Antibacterial Mouthwash Vs Antimicrobial Mouthwash
These three types of mouthwash may have one thing in common and that is to fight off the dangerous microbes in your mouth, but they do have specific functions.
- Antiseptic Mouthwash. This type of mouthwash is designed to reduce the risk of infection in the mouth. It has broader coverage in terms of eliminating bacteria present in the mouth.
- Antibacterial Mouthwash. Also referred to as antibiotic mouthwash, it is designed to treat an existing infection making it more of a specific mouthwash for treating oral infections.
- Antimicrobial Mouthwash. This is often used to kill off microbes in the mouth such as fungi, parasites, and bacteria.
Keep in mind though that mouthwash should not be used as a replacement of flossing or brushing your teeth regularly because they only target bacteria buildup. They can, however, be used as part of your oral hygiene to improve your oral health.
Effects of Using Antimicrobial Mouthwash Daily
Although there is nothing wrong with using an antimicrobial mouthwash on a daily basis, it does come with some surprising side effects such as:
- Removes even the good bacteria. The problem with mouthwash products is that they cannot distinguish good from bad bacteria. Unfortunately, when the good bacteria are removed from the mouth, it can disrupt the existing microbiome in our oral cavity that can disrupt other functions.
- Can increase the risk of diabetes. When good bacteria are removed, it increases one’s risk of diabetes. This is true for those who tend to use their mouthwash more than once in a day.
- Can cause blood pressure to spike. Certain antimicrobial mouthwash and antibacterial mouthwash can cause blood pressure to go up with indiscriminate use.
Improve Oral Health with Fresh Aid Natural Toothpaste
Relying on antimicrobial mouthwash alone for your oral health is not a good idea as it can only do so much. If you want to improve your oral health, brushing your teeth and gums with Fresh Aid Natural Toothpaste is highly recommended.
This toothpaste is made up of all-natural ingredients that have been chosen to disinfect, strengthen, and improve teeth and gums with regular use. There are no fillers, artificial sweeteners, SLS, dyes, and fluoride even which means that it is completely safe to use for all ages.
Get Fresh Aid Natural Toothpaste here and combine it with the best mouthwash with antimicrobial properties and banish bacteria-causing odor in no time.